Sunday, July 03, 2005

12 down, 6 to go & 8 notes

I have six shifts left and I worked 4 of the past 5 days. All night shifts. And I'm tired. And physically sick. My lymph nodes resemble Volkswagons. But it's not that bad. Honest! I'm still enjoying the work and have had all sort of positive and negative experiences but even the bad ones have been worth it.

Several notes:
1. Teenagers can be real a-holes (again, I work on an adolescent-only unit). The full-out 100% lippy a-holes are fine and I can cope with them. The ones who are manipulative and whiny and boss their parents and nurses around make me want to throttle them. This is a worst-case patient scenario because you not only have an undesirable patient but you also have a cranky and pissed off family looking for someone other than their sick child to get angry at (hello student nurse!).

2. I have found the caregivers of my severely mentally and physically disabled patients to be shockingly caring, patient and good-humored.

3. I have tried to demonstrate initiative and sticktoitiveness becoming of a nursing student by offering to help the other nurses on the floor. This means I change 3-5 diapers a night. Remember, these are adolescent diapers.

4. I suctioned my first tracheostomy patient and it was not terrible. It was actually sort of satisfying to get all of the mucous out of the trache so that the patient could breathe easier.

5. I continue to be master of the urethra and successfully catheterized a young woman on the first try.

6. While the other nurses are scornful of the new residents who started on July 1st, it was wonderful for me because all of a sudden there was a crop of physicians who were pleasant and willing to answer my questions.

7. I am showing progress towards being a "likely" RN.

And one more thing:

8. I got a card from a patient thanking me for my "compassion" and "making [their] family's stay easier." Yeah, I cried.

3 Comments:

Blogger HypnoKitten said...

I thought about your post the other day when I catheterized a 400+lb woman who had just come up to the ICU from the cardiac cath lab. The nurse asked me if I needed help, and I said "nope, I'll do fine" and I did (of course!) lol She actually looked at me in awe and amazement when I came out of the room so quickly. heh. ;)

2:23 AM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Did the whiny and manipulative teenagers have iPods?

Apparently that's one of the first things to go for.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi,

This is the assistant editor for Hospital.com which is a medical publication offering hospital news, information and reviews. We also cover a wide variety of medical topics, some of these articles being relevant to nursing schools and issues around their prospective students (scholarships, grants, etc). We are in the process of giving the nursing industry a dedicated section from our site and are currently seeking online resources which can be offered to our readers of this section. If possible I would like Hospital.com to be included within your blog roll, offering our information as a resource to your readers and essentially building a relationship between our sites. Please let me know if this addition can be made, Thanks!

Please email me back with your URL in subject line to take a step ahead and to avoid spam.

Thank you
Mary Miller,
may.hospital.com@gmail.com

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »