Monday, July 11, 2005

2 Things

Thing That Made Me Cry Happy:

There is a contingent of clowns that visit the Children's Center during the weekdays. They are specially trained Big Apple Circus "hospital clowns" that are meant to delight and amuse inpatient children. Working on an adolescent unit, I haven't seen these clowns once. Clearly, their training lets them know that their act would not be a hit on the floor. However, they came by the other day and asked if there was any one who could use a clown. I was taking care of a severely disabled teen-aged child (cerebral palsy with mental retardation) with a developmental level of 6 months or so. I had told them to come in an see this patient who can use all the stimulation she could get. The clowns came in a did a little song and dance and then blew bubbles popped them on the child's hands. The patient broke out into a huge grin, showing a dimple I hadn't seen before. The kid was so happy her whole body shook. I cried, the clowns cried, everybody to whom I've told the story has cried.

Thing That Made My Cry Sad:

It is a sad thing but I can no longer eat pudding, or at least vanilla pudding for the rest of my life. I had two patients yesterday who vomited the vanilla pudding that originally appeared on the lunch tray (the problem was clearly in the pudding). I was present for both "episodes of emesis" and one episode came dangerously close to my own pudding hole. It was an awful smell (sickly sweet) and I showered the moment I got home. The thing is, I really liked vanilla pudding.

A Couple More Things:
- Thanks for people's NCLEX advice - I can use all the advice I can get
- 15 down, 3 to go
- Last night was the first time I slept more than 5 hours straight in the last 14 days

2 Comments:

Blogger Gypsybobocowgirl said...

Now it seems like you will never eat vanilla pudding...for me it was chili...and within five years I was eating chili heated up in an emesis basin.

But...I still retch right along with the patients.

11:52 PM  
Blogger micah said...

hurray for the clowns. fantastic.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »